Upcoming Models #2

Post about creating and skinning models here
mace-x
Team: your sister´s fan!

Re: Upcoming Models #2

Post by mace-x »

so you´re saying that is more optimized to work with high polygon counts?
as i know maya is for animation, but lately i´ve seen lot of people using it for modeling and game/cg content creation.
might get it to explore it a little :)
Massacre ftw!

the human stupidity and the universe are unlimited, and im not totally sure about the universe...
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

LuizH wrote:I may be talking BS but i think maya is more recomended if you are working with Hi Def models. I might be wrong though.
You are, but that's okay. Maya vs. Max is seen as artists choice in the gaming industry atleast. With most companies, guys use whichever the toolset is built to support. Some companies support both software packages with their toolsets so artists can choose their favorites.

Different strokes for different folks.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Actually, I've read quite a few things saying that maya is better for high poly modeling due to it's strong focus with nurbs (similar to the way zBrush works). Max, to compete with maya, also needs quite a few plugins and patience. For low poly game modeling and basic animation, max is good. A few of the big animation companies, Pixar for example, make use of in house written programs that fit their specific need.
Break.

Post by Break. »

Yeah I have both programs but prefer Maya. Started off on max at university but switched to Maya. Tbh it came down to the layouts with me...not any technical reasons. Like checkers says the industry use both. Just depends which the studios prefer,or in some cases they cater to both.
Voutare
Team: Privateer

Post by Voutare »

From my experience, which is limited, Maya is more geared toward high-poly organic models, while 3dsmax isn't as much. It's capable, but it has a different feel to it.
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

I really don't know how much use you could have for it, but It's Lincoln Financial Field, but I kinda custom built it, and its not correct with the seating areas. I just wanted to get the general feel of the Linc.
Mona
Team: MotoOption

Post by Mona »

Hmm, I can't believe no one has said anything about your model Voutare. It looks pretty good on poly-use. Is that Wings that you're using?

Started this on Christmas eve:
The model and skin are all done, I just have the maps left to do.
flyeurboy

Post by flyeurboy »

Awesome really nice !!! :D
MX196

Post by MX196 »

HAHA! Thats sick!
toonys66

Post by toonys66 »

i love it!!!
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

hahah cool!!
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
TannerKawi250f

Post by TannerKawi250f »

omg! i was wondering if anyone was gonna make that. so sick!!!!!!!
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

I know. I start a brand new stadium with actual variety in the stands, and no one comments. Then we get a tire with shoes on it and the thread goes nuts.

Figures.

And there's about 720 polys, I believe. Pretty low, actually. I'm thinking about adding way more detail in the stands though, so I'd expect it to be close to 1500. What's the max most stadiums are at now? Just for a baseline to make it.
excelmx112

Post by excelmx112 »

TimFerry15 wrote:Hmm, I can't believe no one has said anything about your model Voutare. It looks pretty good on poly-use. Is that Wings that you're using?

Started this on Christmas eve:
http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr31 ... e_Bike.png
The model and skin are all done, I just have the maps left to do.
That is so sick!! I completely forgot about that bike!
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Voutare wrote:I know. I start a brand new stadium with actual variety in the stands, and no one comments. Then we get a tire with shoes on it and the thread goes nuts.

Figures.

And there's about 720 polys, I believe. Pretty low, actually. I'm thinking about adding way more detail in the stands though, so I'd expect it to be close to 1500. What's the max most stadiums are at now? Just for a baseline to make it.
You could get away with making a stadium with about 20000 polys (give or take). As its the bulk of what you see when you are riding, its ok to give it a good share of polygons