Upcoming Models #2

Post about creating and skinning models here
DJ99X

Re: Upcoming Models #2

Post by DJ99X »

Hondune wrote:hello all, in order to avoid introducing myself twice, you can just check out this thread if youd like to know a bit about me
http://mxsimulator.com/benchracing3/vie ... f=1&t=9583

anways, this is my first actual bike created specifically for this game (and first high poly motorcycle ever for that matter). i started this yesterday morning and am almost finished already! I typically model cars, which arent really harder, there is just a LOT more to model, so finishing a model in 2 days is impressive for me :P

all i have got left is creating the rear shocks and springs, figuring out a better way to place them (will look weird where i have the mounts now, since in order to fit the mx simulator object positions it makes the suspension a bit high for this type of bike. but oh well, what can you do!) and creating a texture.

once i do that i will also create a blank texture with a wireframe so you all can create your own skins for it if you would like. i hope to have this finished by thursday night, since i go on vacation on friday and i wont have my pc (my laptop is a mac, unfortunately)

the bike is my own made up custom design. probably will call it the Hondune 125H or something similar. but its essentially just a mash up of all older dirt bikes.

please leave good feedback, it will keep me motivated to finish it :)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1183/oldschoolbikeback.th.png
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1496/oldschoolbike.th.png
You're a machine dude! Especially if you can finish it off by thursday!

Let us know if you need assistance with getting it in game
Wings
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Wings »

wouldnt it be best if he learnt himself howto? therefor when the GREAT MASTER sir.dj leaves people know how to do shit.
Judge
Crushed Dissenter
Team: FSK

Post by Judge »

Wings wrote:wouldnt it be best if he learnt himself howto? therefor when the GREAT MASTER sir.dj leaves people know how to do shit.
Dude just go away god damnit.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
Hondune

Post by Hondune »

thank you all for the kind words!

so i got the entire thing textured, normal mapped, and spec mapped :) (still needs rear shocks, im being lazy :P)

then i got it exported and in game just fine, i must say that part is refreshingly easy!

but i can not for the life of me get the normal map and spec map to actually work in game.

the name of my base texture (which works fine, and shows up just like it should) is "yz125-hd125-Stock" my normal map texture is "yz125-hd125h-norm" and spec is the same only with -spec attached of coarse. i have tried multiple other names for it and nothing seams to be working. might just be because im tired, maybe a fresh set of eyes will find the problem in those names :)

here is a screeny of it in game anyways, although it looks quite funky without the normal and specular maps working, very flat and boring... and i also need to make the stock hondune skin as well, just wanted to get everything working before i did that!

tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Post by tyskorn »

You need to ad "_norm" at the end instead of "-norm". Same for the spec. Did you put the front fender on the fork_lower.jm? Looks pretty awesome. :)
p2sta

Post by p2sta »

looks great man! nice to see you here, but well...it looks quite hipoly for a game model, what's the poly count?
MX196
Team: Privateer

Post by MX196 »

p2sta wrote:looks great man! nice to see you here, but well...it looks quite hipoly for a game model, what's the poly count?
He told me it was 8,500 without the wheels. But 14,000 with them.
LuizH

Post by LuizH »

I'am redoing the sideplate, and here's a WIP of the model i will try (and probably FAIL) to bake it.
again, I don't know if I will ever finish this
FORMER SUPERCROSS LEGEND
GoPro HD

Post by GoPro HD »

MX196 wrote:
p2sta wrote:looks great man! nice to see you here, but well...it looks quite hipoly for a game model, what's the poly count?
He told me it was 8,500 without the wheels. But 14,000 with them.
thanks not too bad.
LuizH

Post by LuizH »

BTW,
I see piista is over here, if he could give me some tips on how to subd pointy meshes i would apreciate cause mine allways suck.
FORMER SUPERCROSS LEGEND
Hondune

Post by Hondune »

tyskorn wrote:You need to ad "_norm" at the end instead of "-norm". Same for the spec. Did you put the front fender on the fork_lower.jm? Looks pretty awesome. :)
ah yes that fixed it. i knew it was something silly haha, ive been up all night im not thinking as well as i should 0_o thanks a ton!

now time to tweak the normal and spec maps to make it look right... is there anyway to achieve a chrome effect? i tried making the specular 100% white, however it didnt really seam to add much shine. it seams like its either nothing or only a bit of shine, and nothing else :/

and yes the front fender is part of fork_lower, so it moves with the suspension :)
the bike alone is about 8,400 faces(this includes everything besides the spokes, hub, and tread of the wheels), the wheels add like another 7k faces though xD, 3d tread always kills poly count :/
tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Post by tyskorn »

I think adding reflections would help out with the chrome effect. I've never had the problem of the spec not shining though. Here is a tutorial on how to make reflections if you need it.
p2sta

Post by p2sta »

LuizH wrote:BTW,
I see piista is over here, if he could give me some tips on how to subd pointy meshes i would apreciate cause mine allways suck.
looks sick man! well show a closeup of that area with unsmoothed wireframe on ;) those spots area always problematic, but everything can be solved

Hondune wrote:the bike alone is about 8,400 faces
oh, great if we are talking about triangles...:) if just polys, it will be a bit higher number converted to tris :)
mace-x
Team: your sister´s fan!

Post by mace-x »

Hondune wrote:thank you all for the kind words!

so i got the entire thing textured, normal mapped, and spec mapped :) (still needs rear shocks, im being lazy :P)

then i got it exported and in game just fine, i must say that part is refreshingly easy!

but i can not for the life of me get the normal map and spec map to actually work in game.

the name of my base texture (which works fine, and shows up just like it should) is "yz125-hd125-Stock" my normal map texture is "yz125-hd125h-norm" and spec is the same only with -spec attached of coarse. i have tried multiple other names for it and nothing seams to be working. might just be because im tired, maybe a fresh set of eyes will find the problem in those names :)

here is a screeny of it in game anyways, although it looks quite funky without the normal and specular maps working, very flat and boring... and i also need to make the stock hondune skin as well, just wanted to get everything working before i did that!

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8073/oldbikejump.jpg
wow, respect man, looks so sick for the few time you´ve spent on it, get us updated! :D
Massacre ftw!

the human stupidity and the universe are unlimited, and im not totally sure about the universe...